12 January 2022

January In the Apiary

I was asked to let you have some thoughts about what all of us should be doing in the apiary, month by month, throughout 2022. It is quite an honour; I am delighted to be asked. I began my beekeeping in 1985 after a course in Plymouth by the County Beekeeping Lecturer. Memories of my first year include: Transporting my mother’s two colonies from Hampshire; somewhere along the A30, much to my wife’s alarm, several bees appeared on the inside of the windscreen. It was dark but we were passing a lit shop window so stopped, shooed them out and re-sealed an old woodpecker hole. Seeing twenty or more Braula driven off a queen with tobacco smoke. An afternoon grafting larvae at Seale Hayne, then the Devon agricultural college. I have been running introductory classes for the Ipswich and East Suffolk BKA since 2000. And, because no-one else was, into courses in queen rearing and for general husbandry. I have been a BBKA Module Examiner and am a BBKA Correspondence Course...

from British Beekeepers Association https://ift.tt/3Fj9Apd
via gqrds

No comments: